Explore South Africa's Arts & Culture with African Stay.
Arts & Cultural
South Africa’s pictorial art goes back at least 77 000 thousand years, to the time of the earliest known rock art, the San Bushman paintings and prehistoric designs that decorate caves and overhanging rocks. South African Art has been developed and defined by its cultural heritage, from the earliest rock paintings through Colonial rule and Apartheid horrors that inspired resistance music, art and dance.
"Art is so wonderfully irrational, exuberantly pointless, but necessary all the same."South African writer, political activist and recipient of the 1991 Nobel Prize in Literature: Nadine Gordimer
Explore South Africa's Arts & Cultural:
- The Owl House.
- World renowned Ardmore hand crafted and painted, museum quality pottery pieces of art.
- Cradle of Humankind.
- Restored Cottages in Eastern Cape.
- Traditional beehive huts.
- Craddock Windmills.
- Nelson Mandela Art Museum.
- Afrikaner Museum.
- Ndebele Painted homes and exquisite beadwork.
- Traditional Zulu, Venda, Xhosa, Shangaan and Ndebele villages. Some of these even offer accommodation.
Then there's even more:
- Beautiful hand crafted fabrics of Africa.
- Ancient musical instruments.
- Swazi candles, beaded love-letters and recycled glass animals.
- The desert people of the Himba Village in far flung Namibia.
- Splashy Fen Music Festival on a farm in the foothills of the Southern Drakensberg.
- World renowned Grahamstown Art Festival.
- Arts Alive Festival in Johannesburg.
- North Sea Jazz Festival.
- District Six.
- Cape Dutch Farmsteads.
- Art Deco buildings dating back to the 1930’s.